Tuesday, October 25, 2005

I built this electric guitar in 1995 or so. Considering the life it has led on the road it is in remakably good condition. The body is Mahogany with a Zebrawood top (Zebrawood has a tone similar to ash/maple) The neck is made of Walnut and has an unfinished Maple fretboard. The guitar is very dark sounding but thanks to the mixture of woods chosen it also has a nice pronounced top end and a very defined mid range punch. It has been a good guitar guitar and has never let me down on stage or in the studio. Thanks to the trick wiring of the pickups - Al DiMeola bridge (DiMarzio) and a PAF Pro in the neck (also DiMarzio) it is capable of providing me with both "Fender Stratish" tones and "Gibsonesque Les Paul" sounds as well. The inverted Pre-CBS style strat headstock gives me a little extra sustain and I like the tension it gives to the strings - the little "E" string is shorter than the lower "E" string - normally it is the other way around but this set up is really more appropriate for the string tensions I think. I believe it is one of the little things that made Jimi's tone sound like it did. I think the slight similarities between this guitar and the one I built in 7th grade are kind of funny. Zebrawood-like grain, custom knob, custom wiring, somethings never change... Posted by Picasa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home